Friday 27 January 2012

Freedom

Dystopia
I heard from somewhere that gentle birds sing about freedom, and wild birds fly. I like to sing, in the car, or the sea. Sometimes with big groups of people, in a pub or a church. And I'm infatuated with freedom, utterly impressed by the People I see express it. People brave enough and intelligent enough to be themselves, even for just a moment. That's what my father said to me once and I have to think of Dorian Grey, Hieronymus Bosch or Dane Reynolds. I don't know if that puts me in the gentle bird category. I suspect it's more of a spectrum, and we're all lined up like pigeons on the power line.

We talked allot about freedom me and dad, and we're both searching for it in our own ways - in writing, art, relationships and surfing. As an artist my dad has refined his search. Challenging himself to remain free through the painstaking process of putting paint on canvas. The results speak for themselves, In the hearts of the audience and the words of the critics. R





Roger Mortimer - my father
http://www.rogermortimer.com/

Bluebell

Maui Snares the Sun


1 comment: